View Single Post
Old 1st May 2019, 17:49

rof120 is on a distinguished road
A. Galland mystery – 3 June 1940 - Yes but...

Prien & Ring published this all right, which I mentioned (more or less).

The fact remains that Galland himself published a different version FIVE TIMES. I wrote "four times" at first but there is a fifth book: the American edition of Galland's 1992 German book, large size, with the title "Fighter General" (released 1999), probably with "Adolf Galland" in the title too (I'll check on this). You can be sure that Galland checked the whole translation very thoroughly - including about June 3, 1940.

May I repeat. or mention, that Galland himself sent the list of his victories won in May-June 1940 to his French publisher (Yves Michelet) and to Donald Caldwell as well, possibly to other persons too. This list mentions the 2 victories on June 3 not on June 9. I feel we should rely on the fighter pilot who won these victories himself rather than on people mentioning him in a victory list 50 years later without explaining this difference.

(30 minutes later Found on the Internet:
Fighter general : the life of Adolf Galland : the official biography
Auteur :
Raymond F Toliver; Trevor J Constable
Éditeur: (French for Publishers)
Atglen, PA : Schiffer Pub., ©1999.

Actually the real author is Adolf Galland himself. My copy of this book is not available at the moment but I have no doubt that this book, too, mentions both victoris won on June 3 not June 9.

Last edited by rof120; 2nd May 2019 at 21:18. Reason: To add the last paragraph