View Single Post
Old 22nd September 2019, 12:32

schwarze-man is on a distinguished road
Re: List of DB 605A engine construction numbers?

Hello to all!
I have been trying to analyse the fantastic list of 744 DB601 and 605 engines posted by Matti Salonen at posts #13 and #19 on page 2 , Thanks Matti!
It is quickly apparent, even from the early DB601, that the engines have a wide range of numbers. I have decided to try and correlate these and fit the listing into a structure. For this stage, I am working on the DB601 listings as these are relatively easy to ID engine type from the Bf109 type and, these DB601's have the 5 digit numbers without complication. The data from Matti shows about 238 engines in the DB601A, N and E production. Although further DB601 types were produced, I consider that the spread of batch numbers would roughly incorporate the other versions and the Bf109 use would be the dominant user of the DB601. The 238 odd engine sample is AFAIK a random list and represents approx 1.25% of DB601 production. However, the numbers available to count here are still considerable and, given the random spread, seems a reasonable sample but, obviously all engines are not listed and the statistical accuracy is not absolute.
The data in the table progresses chronologically. The engine numbers start in blocks and, although this looks random at first glance, it can be seen that the way the numbers fall, reflects the way that the data was recorded, possibly from losses, and makes sense.
There appear to be very few obvious errors in the recorded numbers.
I deduced that the Block numbers were most likely in allocations of 10,000. I saw this through the rough sorting of the data. The Blocks are not all complete and, where a further higher number is not recorded, I take this as the last production. However, where subsequent Blocks follow closely or sequentially, I deduced that these Blocks were complete. The engine numbering continues through the Blocks as the different engine versions came on production ie. DB601A, DB601N and DB601E.
OK, I will be back later today with the results! Cheers

SM

Last edited by schwarze-man; 24th September 2019 at 11:40.