View Single Post
Old 28th December 2019, 16:21
Alter Hase

Franek Grabowski is on a distinguished road
Re: Me 110 losses on 7 September 1940 - circumstances

Hi

I understand that the CEAR repots may not contain all the details, and it seems they largely improved in later years as K-Reports did. Anyway, I understand that such informationmight be available in a number of sources, local reports, police reports, photos, etc.

In regard of NH, F/L Lane, attributed to the victory does not mention explosion, but he does note that two airmen bailed out. Parachute of one failed, but the other one looked like being taken PoW by the local girls. So either he attacked another aircraft (he specifically mentions Hornchurch, however) or something happened with the airman on the way down.

My source is a period account of one of the pilots involved. It was filed the same day or few days later, independently from the combat report. The pilot and his section leader attacked two Dorniers. The other one attacked by section leader went down in flames. The pilot in question specifically mentioned, that his target burst like a bubble, and that he then took a jumper on his crosshair, and finished him off. Sounds very much like NH, did not it?