View Single Post
Old 28th February 2005, 18:35

Dick Powers
Il-2 Book

I got my copy a week so so back. After browsing, But little reading, here are my initial impressions.

Of course the presentation is typical for Crowood. Large size, about 200 pages, good, paper with reasonably reproduced photos.

The book discusses the development of attack aircraft in the Soviet Union from the 20’s on. Of course the bulk is on the Sturmovik family including Il-2, Il-10 and Il-16.

Drawings are minimal. Only one three view, I think, it is small, maybe 1/8th page. A few line profiles are given to illustrate differences between the various sub-types. Again, these are small, maybe 5cm long,

Aircraft physical and performance data is presented for several sub-types. This data must have been developed from actual test data, as the c/n of the subject aircraft is included. Data includes weights, speeds, climb rates, range, and similar information.

Approximately 36 color profiles are included, of Il-2 and Il-10 variants. The profiles are good quality, if a little too pristine.

One appendix describes the many sub-types produced or field modified.

The photos seem evenly split between factory and test aircraft and service aircraft.