View Single Post
Old 9th July 2020, 14:07
Alter Hase

Franek Grabowski is on a distinguished road
Re: Barkhorn: claims vs. victories

Hi Johannes
That is my point. Whatever the reason, the problem is that we cannot recreate course of events with the available data. Let's pick a famous pilot, and try to verify his score. If we have a loss in appropriate time and place, then it is a success. Nonetheless we also find a number of claims in the same area and approximate time, and a number of unassigned claims, where it is not known if they are relevant or not. Hence, we cannot say if the pilot in question is reliable or not. Even if we had those data, then there is a problem of verification of the Allied losses. We often do not know exact circumstances and place of loss which is essential. This is especially valid for aircraft lost over continent. Nonetheless in several cases we can find out that the reason of particular loss was technical, collision or friendly fire, thus not relevant to the German claims. I am far to make a general statement, but based on fragmentary research, the German overclaim over England and France 1940-1941 was heavy, much heavier than widely believed. Does it mean that the claimants were dishonest? Some perhaps were, but I guess that in most cases the reason was exactly the same as for Allied pilots in the same period - in the mess of intense dog fight they were unable to properly assess results of combats. The bigger combat, the larger overclaim. Even in such cases it is possible to work out what was going on, but extensive narratives are just essential. The extensive collection of Allied combat reports helps to make some order, but as long as there is a gap on the German side, I am afraid never to be filled, we will never know for sure.
BTW Interesting to note that JG 2 claims are one of the best covered, as I have a lot of problems with them in 1941.
Best wishes
Franek