View Single Post
Old 19th July 2020, 16:13
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough
Re: Photos Germania B

Nice try Clint
Personally I think we can drop the Rathjen/Germania B-type theory.

If you look at the stamp, and of course believe that it is genuine, it is dated 29 March 1916. According to Grosz the three LF aircraft were accepted by the German Navy that same month.

All this would thus suggest that the young man had his close up photo taken, immediately rushes off to have it developed, then again rushes off to some post card maker to have it turned into something he can send home. While not impossible I guess, it is a bit far fetched for me to buy.

I have of course no idea what we are looking at. The top wing looks extremely curved which was never a trade mark of Rathjen/Germania, well, at least not the photos I have seen.

Are we really looking at a dot behind the digits? Can't remember I have seen any dot as such before. Couldn't it be something with the construction as well?

Finally the angle of the aircraft's "sit" is very straight, suggesting it is a floatplane and not a land plane. Unfortunately in my list the Marine Bestellnummer 198 is unknown. Grosz gives no clue if this is a cancelled aircraft or simply never assigned. Only one aircraft is known in between 121 - 200.

Sorry I can't do any better....

Cheers
Stig