View Single Post
Old 19th July 2020, 16:43
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough
Re: Photo Album USAAS

Well Clint....

I have chapter and verse how the serial number should be applied. I also have the same with regard to how US combat aircraft should be marked in the war. However, the book in question, The official monogram US Army Air Service & Air Corps aircraft color guide 1908-1941, is totally silent regarding how trainer aircraft were marked from ca mid 1917 or so until the end of the war.

I believe these large numbers were assigned by the airfields the aircraft belonged to (and not the units themselves). I have always thought so anyway.
Due to the enormous increase in trainer aircraft from 1917, I guess the airfield commanders and perhaps everyone else felt a lot better if there were some rather huge digits applied for identification. I don't know if every airfield used this, but I believe most did. The exact meaning and if they used certain ranges for specific training, such as in this case, the 700 range was for gunnery training, avoids me. Probably quite likely.

I admit I have not studied the topic, since I know far too little about individual Signal Corps and Army Air Corps aircraft to be certain.

At some point it seems the system goes out of fashion. Perhaps at the end of the war? Instead the serial number seems again to be painted in large digits.

Sorry if I sound vague, but I only have the above mentioned about the topic. There are probably other more complete/correct studies on this topic elsewhere.

Cheers
Stig