View Single Post
Old 10th January 2021, 12:12

rof120 is on a distinguished road
Re: Messerschmitt 109 losses in May-June 1940 : W. Murray’s and J. Prien’s figures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Beale View Post
Perhaps a good place to start would be the daily Lageberichte for the period which you can find here. All the ones that I have looked at include a tabulation of German losses broken down by type. Do let us know what you find.
- I had a look yesterday. Really impressive but it seems that searching for some pecise piece of information can become quite hard and time-consuming even though the publication on the Internet (in Moscow) seems to be the result of a well-done job. Thanks God this site is not in Russian only but in German too, which makes me very grateful. A very useful asset is the SEARCH function. Otherwise - in a very short time - I got the impression that all these important German files were somehow shuffled and what you see on your screen is the result of chance not of classification. WYSIWYG so to speak. I don't know this site well enough to have an opinion on this, though. Very useful it is in any case.

Jochen Prien's JFV part 3 (campaigns in Norway and France-Benelux): Prien seems to have relied too much on Farris Kirkland (see footnotes mentioning him) but this was 2000-2001 and Kirkland's frequent lack of reliability possibly was not known yet. Prien relied heavily, too, on French author Raymond Cartier. Cartier was a journalist, mainly with the FRENCH weekly Paris-Match (Paris' Match, in German Das Streichholz von Paris, sic). He was absolutely pro-American and admired everything blindly if only it was American. He was an extremely convinced supporter of European unity as USE, E being Europe. He wrote a lot in Paris-Match and he published a big book with the title "Histoire de la deuxième guerre mondiale" (WW II), which Prien quotes all too often for Cartier, whom I read and heard (on the radio) very eagerly at the time (I was a still naive teen-ager), was not really an historian. This didn't make him unable to find some gems nor to make some good remarks, though. Some long articles on the Fr. Campaign in his weekly, including a very hot discussion with 1940 French Prime Minister Paul Reynaud, could contain some interesting elements.