View Single Post
Old 29th December 2022, 01:25
Alter Hase

Franek Grabowski is on a distinguished road
Re: Hans Hahn/Maximilian Stotz

Quote:
Originally Posted by VtwinVince View Post
I'm not 'blaming' anyone or trying to establish some sort of moral high ground. But I do see much zeal, on this and other forums, to attempt to call into question German claims without similar impetus given to the other side.

This applies to the Eastern Front because information on Soviet losses became available, and turned a bot of a shock. Nobody bothers with the ETO or MTO because it is not spectacular, there is no paperwork available online and the information about Luftwaffe are scarce.

Stig

In most cases it was victory award system responsible. RAF was a bit liberal at first, but then became strict, and since 1943 it seems that credited victories are fairly accurate. USAAF remained liberal to a degree. I cannot say for USN or USMC. IJN or IJA - nobody was able to tell me, how the system worked, and even claimed there was no such system at all, and no victories were ever claimed. Not sure if true, but if so, they certainly did not overclaim. I cannot say anything about Soviets, but financial awards for downed enemy aircraft may have contributed towards overclaiming.
Still, those were Germans who were credited with the greatest numbers of victories, claimed to be confirmed by absolutely reliable and sophisticated system, contrary to others. Propaganda in this regard was very strong until recently, so no wonder it is now being debunked, much to pain of some.