View Single Post
Old 3rd May 2023, 00:00

INM@RLM will become famous soon enoughINM@RLM will become famous soon enough
Re: Luftwaffe floatplane float underside colour - yellow?

RE: Post 2 The photo at top right is certainly interesting and potentially useful. It's a bit short on description though.

To my eyes it looks like part of the inside of the float not the outside. The inside areas of floats in L.Dv. 521/1 were mandated to be painted with either RLM 7108.01 Silber or 7108.02 RLM grau. i.e. never with Flieglack 7108.04.

I should have also added that aluminium bronze has a gold colour. So it would not be too surprising if the longest lasting gold-coloured part of the pigment was the component that survived the longest on this wreckage.

Not clear also from this photo is whether we are looking at part of the upper section of the float or this is definitely a portion from the concave curved areas that would be submerged when the aircraft was at rest on the water. On the face of it this panel looks too flat to have come from the underwater section, suggesting that more likely it was actually part of the internal structure of the float that would never have received any yellow paint.
This query is only about the paint applied to the submerged EXTERNAL areas of the floats.

Last edited by INM@RLM; 3rd May 2023 at 00:06. Reason: typo: convex for concave