View Single Post
Old 7th May 2023, 23:25
Alter Hase

Nokose will become famous soon enough
Re: Hans Hahn/Maximilian Stotz

From material that I intended to write for a JG 54 history (unfinished)
21 February 1943
“The next dogfight would occur to the southeast of Godilovo and the consequences would be bad for the Gruppenkommandeur of II./JG 54. In the region of Godunov - Matasovo - Pustoshka were six La-5 from the 169 IAP led by Starshiy Leytenant Aleksandr Chislov covering Soviet forces from 10:55 - 11:54 (M). This group depending on the story states that they engaged eight Bf 109, which were later joined by 4-6 other Bf 109. In the battle Starshiy Leytenant Pavel Grazdaninov pursued after the German fighters. His wingman. Mladshiy Leytenant P.T. Balandin fell behind and was attacked forcing him to parachute from his burning plane. Oberfeldwebel Heinrich Wefers of 4./JG 54 shot down a La-5 (48) at 09:10 at 2000 meters. Starshiy Leytenant Grazhdanov during this time fought with Hahn’s group and claimed to have shot down three Me-109 (10-12) in the area of Vol’noe. Starshiy Serzhant Aleksandr Davydov observing a La-5 in trouble abandoned his position as Starshiy Leytenant Chislov’s wingman to go to it’s aid (probably Grazhdanov). Starshiy Serzhant Davydov would claim two Me-109 in this battle. During this time Starshiy Leytenant Chislov claimed a Me-109 (9) shot down to the southeast of Zosovo. Major Hans Hahn of Stab II/JG 54 shot down a La-5 (108) at 09:11 at an altitude of 2000 m. Oberleutnant Max Stotz of 4./JG 54 at the same time downed a La-5 (160) at an altitude of 2,500 m. at almost the same location.
At the same time as Chislov’s battle, Leytenant Ivan Vorob’ev was also shot down and died in his aircraft. Oberleutnant Stotz then shot down another La-5 (161) at 09:12 at an altitude 2,500 meters. During this struggle Major Hahn’s Bf 109 G-2 (# 13 949) would receive damage during the fight which forced him to begin withdrawing to get to German lines before force landing to the southeast of Zaluch’e at 09:12 in Soviet territory and was taken as a prisoner of war.
With two Soviet La-5 fighters lost and only one Bf 109 loss it is difficult to determine the victors in this struggle.”