350Sqn is on a distinguished road
Re: 350 Belgian SQN Rodeo 30.7.1942 Damaging Me109 G1 Wrk.Nr 14055

PERSONAL COMBAT REPORT - F/L du MONCEAU D.F.C. (BELGIAN) RAMROD 30/7/42
FORM “F”
To :
Date A. 30/7/42.
Unit B. 350 (Belgian) Squadron.
Type and mark of our aircraft C. Spitfire VB
Time attack was delivered D. Roughly 19.25 -19.30 hours.
Place of attack E. Mid CHANNEL.
Weather F. Hazy, 2/10 low cloud.
Our Casualties – Aircraft G. NIL
Our Casualties – Personnel H. NIL
Enemy casualties in air combat J. 1 Me 109F probable
1 Me 109F damaged
Enemy casualties ground or sea targets K. N/A
GENERAL REPORT :
I was Blue 1 in top Squadron of KENLEY Wing. When the Wing, on its way back from the ST. OMER area, was in Mid CHANNEL plots
given by MICKEY ground station seemed to be fairly near and while Wing turned to port I gained a couple of thousand feet reaching 17.000 feet.
On the turn 3 E/A approached from behind with the probable intention of attacking Red and Yellow Sections. They changed their minds
and came up behind us being signalled by Blue 2 (Sgt. ESTER). I turned left, Blue 2 turned right, and Blue 3 and 4 turned left climbing slightly.
The E/A (Me 109F) tried to dive away. A loose dogfight ensued, some more E/A coming from the North East joining in. I got a burst in from
dead astern, range 350 yards, on an Me 109 at 17.000 feet which had speed advantage. E/A started emitting a stream of black smoke seen by Blue
3 (Sgt. FLOHIMONT) about 800 yards behind E/A. I claim this E/A as damaged.
Soon afterwards I saw Blue 2 chasing 1 Me 109F and scoring hits which caused loss of glycol and white smoke to appear from the
fuselage - probably petrol. E/A took no evasive action.
Then another Me 109F came from the left to attack Blue 2. I managed to get a short burst at 3/4 beam giving 2 ½ rings deflection. I saw
cannon hits on the cockpit and from that moment the E/A was out of control. It had speed advantage at first and after I had turned right behind him at
350 yards flying more or less on its side at 15.000 feet. It stayed in that position for a few seconds. I exhausted my ammunition on him and E/A
pulled up sideways, somehow pulled up and spun once more. I had to break away as I was out of ammunition and as 2 unidentified aircraft were
flying towards me. I claim this second E/A as probably destroyed. I am certain the pilot had been hit and was hardly capable of flying the aircraft. In
all his manoeuvres up to the moment I had to break away, E/A lost at least 10.000 feet and was still going down spinning.
An aircraft was seen going in slightly South of DOVER - GRIS NEZ, and halfway between those points. This would be more like one of the
planes COINER Blue Section engaged but I cannot claim it as mine not having followed down second.
Signed,
I. G. du MONCEAU D.F.C. F/L.
Took off KENLEY : 18.30 hours.
Landed KENLEY : 19.40 hours.
Rounds fired : AP 303 600
Inc.Mk. VI.Z 200
Ball 20 mm. 60
HE 20 mm. 60
Cine camera exposed
F. L . FLOHIMONT