View Single Post
Old 9th September 2023, 13:31
Alter Hase

Adriano Baumgartner is on a distinguished road
This is why I asked the question...the authors inform that evidences (parts of the aircraft, probably the EKM and pilot's badge) were found.
I would be interested to see those images of those evidences they say that exist....and eventually the burial place of the airmen (if they were really found).
From where they got this information is a mistery.
I do have Schede's NVM but not a hand right now, since am far away from home...and a good picture of this officer (Studio image), hence my interest on his story.
Anyway, maybe the authors can add something or someone from the Russian side...I believe that if some parts of his Memorablia were found (EKM, Pilot's Badge) that he deserves a full military funeral on the spot the plane crashed.
A.

Balka Talovaya
Балка Таловая
Ravina
https://www.google.com.br/maps/place...q1v4?entry=ttu

We can see that this place is some 5 km to the East of Kotelnikovo, some Km WSW of now Volgograd (Stalingrad).

We know from reports that the weather was not good. If we do follow up the route from Zaporoshye we can see a certain logic to "follow up" the river up to Mariupol, Rostov and then keep following the Don river upstream (VOR = visual over the River). They may have not found the correct place to drop the supplies and may have decided to return by the same route (visual over the river). I can see no historical problems at all on what has been described by the Russian authors so far....

Chris could you inform us where Poljakowka is (or where in WW2)?
I have tried to find it on Google maps but got no joy at all....