Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough
Re: Death of Maj Kurt Schede I/KG 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriano Baumgartner View Post
Balka Talovaya
Балка Таловая
Ravina
https://www.google.com.br/maps/place...q1v4?entry=ttu

We can see that this place is some 5 km to the East of Kotelnikovo, some Km WSW of now Volgograd (Stalingrad).

We know from reports that the weather was not good. If we do follow up the route from Zaporoshye we can see a certain logic to "follow up" the river up to Mariupol, Rostov and then keep following the Don river upstream (VOR = visual over the River). They may have not found the correct place to drop the supplies and may have decided to return by the same route (visual over the river). I can see no historical problems at all on what has been described by the Russian authors so far....
Not sure I follow you here Adriano
I already asked if Talovaya Balka is the same place as Balka Tolovaya. IF it is, then the statement from the authors
it is in the Svitlovodsky district of the Kirovograd area, now in Ukraine can't be correct. This Balka Tolovaya is
nowhere near Ukraine unless Ukraine's borders were entirely different in 1943 and we would also need to
locate a Kirovograd somewhere in the vicinity, which I can't!
Also when it comes to navigation, we are not talking about some newbie here. We are dealing with the CO
of a newly formed He 177 bomber unit. Surely that crew would be very experienced even if they were new to the Eastern Front.
Finally it would also mean that the Germans themselves had no idea where Schede went down and made up a
report based entirely on guesswork.
Things just still don't add up to my satisfaction....
Cheers
Stig