View Single Post
Old 22nd October 2023, 19:45

Peter Cook is on a distinguished road
Re: shoot down of Hurricane P2692 13/08/40

Danny, you may find the following of interest:

There is no combat report for F/O Peter Davies for this action at the National Archives. But he described his experiences for author Norman Gelb in Scramble: A Narrative History of the Battle of Britain, 1986, p. 250-1

"My hands were badly burnt and very painful when my aircraft was shot up. I had to bale out. They sprayed them with tannic acid. It formed a dark brown hard casing over my hands. The skin began to grow back over some of the fingers together. They had to be separated. One or two things went septic, but I recovered pretty quickly and was fortunate compared to some of the men. There was another pilot officer named Davies who was brought in. His mother was upset seeing him – he was so badly burnt, his eyes were just slits. They brought her in to see me to show how burn cases could recover."

I have a question for Robert re. the ZG 26 claims. None of these are listed in Tony Wood's OKL claims lists, and I can only locate the single claim by Lt Meisel, which is described in Vasco and Cornwell's Zerstörer book. What is the source for your ZG 26 claims?

Peter