View Single Post
Old 20th February 2024, 01:06

Hornchurch is on a distinguished road
Re: KG.66 Pathfinder Ju.188 @ Havering Atte Bower (Romford), 13th Jan 1944

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDT View Post
Good Morning,

I do not that have the magazine, but do have a few books dealing about this period about the air war. None mention a loss of I./KG 66 with a Maj. Schmidt on this date. So I checked the Luftwaffe Officer Career Summaries database
by Henry L. deZeng IV and Douglas G. Stankey and here I found 18 Helmut Schmidt's but none of KG 66. Although I found a Hermann Schmidt who was at some time Gr.Kdr. of I./KG 66, but was not shot down over the UK. Hereby a few extracts from the DB:
SCHMIDT, Hermann. (DOB: 27.08.10 in Busendorf Krs. Bolchen/Lothringen).
08.04.43 Maj. (Tr.O.) at BFS 6, trf to Stab/Angriffsführer England as provisional Kdr. I./KG 66.
05.06.43 Maj., appt permanent Kdr. I./KG 66 (to 08.05.45).
17.04.45 Maj., Kdr. I./KG 66 unhurt - Ju 88 G-6 (Z6+AB) damaged by enemy fire vic Tutow-Süd, a/f.
05.45 POW of the British. 11.45 released.
30.09.68 retired from the Bundeswehr as an Oberst.
Credited with 256 missions. †11.01.92 in Wildenroth.
Kind regards,

Dirk
'

Hi Dirk & many thanks for your reply mate - I'll respond to Chris, next...

Dirk : I fear you may have misconstrued my meaning or intent (?)

Late last night (after a few beers !), all I could dredge up was the info' I listed

Via the 'net, some 14 years down the line, it mentioned Major Helmut Schmidt's unit

By that mate, I mean emphasis on the latter word, "Unit" (I'll guess he was in Command ?)

I wasn't referring to him specifically, but never mind anyways

I am still chuffed (pleased) you posted that info' anyhow, as my knowledge is scant

Thanks again : Regards, "Hawny" aka "Hornchurch"