View Single Post
Old 10th April 2024, 11:05

Karoband will become famous soon enoughKaroband will become famous soon enough
Re: Some enlarged and "tweaked" known photos of Ar 234s

http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/album....pictureid=1531

54. On that afternoon of 24 June 1945, Lt. Cdr, (RN), Eric Brown and S/Ldr. "Tony" Martindale of RAE Farnborough arrived at Grove-Karup, Denmark, to ferry two Arado recces back to England. "Winkel" Brown, on page 17 of his Wings of the Luftwaffe, (Hirori, 2010), described his first test flight that evening.

"...My Blitz was the first ready to fly so I taxiied out to the end of the runway and ran up the engines to full power. All seemed well and I was just about to release the brakes for take-off when the starboard engine almost blew itself out of the airframe, spewing compression blades out of the back and onto the runway. I shut down the port engine and vacated the cockpit like a scalded cat!"

Brown claimed that it was the result of sabotage by a member of the German ground crew.

In this photo, note the tarp covering a jettisoned canopy hatch cover, the lack of a periscope and the height of the vegetation growing around the neglected Arado.
Smith & Creek, on page 213 of their 1992 Monogram edition of Arado Ar 234 Blitz, captioned this photo as:
"Royal Danish Air Force officers examine an Arado Ar 234 B-2 of 1.(F)/33 at Karup-Grove airfield during the summer of 1945."

It is likely that this aircraft was scrapped at Grove and that it was W.Nr. 140486.