View Single Post
Old 23rd April 2024, 23:01

oquaig is on a distinguished road
Re: Has anyone ever found aerial photos or a map of these airfields ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry deZeng View Post
Oquaig -

Here are a couple of them.................I think you will find some or all of the others, too, but you will have to search through my listings for Luftwaffe Airfields in Poland and my list for Russia and Ukraine. Good Luck!
P.S. as for the name of the villages where the aircrew slept, if recorded, it would only be found in unit KTB'er and in the records of the German Ortskommandantur for those villages.

L. deZ.

Hi Larry,

When I look for airfields your listings at Luftwaffe Airfields is always the first place I look. I looked up Starawies and saw “Wegrów” and I am going “naw, that can’t be it”. There are more than a dozen Starawies, Stara Wies, Starowies and Staro Wies within a 100 km radius of Siedlce. I looked at “Forgotten Airfields”. I looked at Deutsche Heereskarte to see which Starawies were on the map in 1941. I looked at a couple of Russian language sites, including the one that Mikhail Timin used to post on. I looked at popular literature accounts of JG 51…I was amused by the 1944 LW aerial of Siedlce airfield. A half km to the east of it is another Starawies.

Turns out the Starawies NNW of Wegrów is in fact the correct place, but on the eastern side of town between Starawies and Toncza. The airfield is at 52.454636N, 21.973309E. If you look at it long enough you see the outline of the squarish airfield where two roads form an X off center, very similar to Krzewica airfield (52.055625N, 22.696689E), which is a perfect square 1.3 x 1.3 km in size.

Thanks again
oquaig