View Single Post
Old 1st May 2024, 21:16
Alter Hase

Adriano Baumgartner is on a distinguished road
Re: Pierre Clostermann -- Loved to fish?

Tony,

That's a pretty nice story. Thank you for sharing it with us.

And what a small world that from some quite a number of fishing boat captains, Pierre when on holidays just picked up that one who was himself a Vietnam helicopter flyer veteran! They have talked and taken some beers and drinks together...sure! Yes, Pierre flew the "Broussard" on Algérie and wrote about that too, if you find his biography and books on the line. I do not know if that one was translated to English, but you can find his books on his original French language, although you know that he was born here in Brazil, in Curitiba, the birth-town of several WW2 Brazilian veterans, including the late Wing Commander Cosme Lockwoo Gomm, DSO, DFC.

I do have my own copy of the "Grand Cirque" signed by Clostermann, a gift from a friend of mine. If you get the chance to purchase one from the boat captain, I do advise and recommend you to do so. Firstly because this is the book that changed my life and get me to Aviation, as a Profession...secondly because you will not find those signed books by Clostermann anymore.

Of course, you will see, cross-checking some WW2 books and here on the Forum, that some stories described there are not totally and historically correct (including with the Operational Record Books of the RAF units he flew). It is nevertheless a lovely book to read and re-read (I have re-read it some 4/5 times, during the last 34 years).

Semper fi and all the best for you and yours.

Adriano, from Brazil.