View Single Post
Old 29th January 2007, 11:38

Lebowski is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Fw. Herbert Ludwig - 6./NJG 101

O.K. Gents I'll come clean !

Perhaps one or two of you who use the boards that were suggested may have realised that 'Lebowski' is nothing but a silly alias.
I've made so many postings on the 'NJG Forum & RAF Commands that I'm sure people are probably getting sick of seeing my real name - David Griffith.

My Uncle was Sgt. Arthur Griffith, rear gunner on board Wellington LN 853 'Z' - piloted by Sqdn/Ldr H.H. Beale, DFC & Bar (RNZAF)

I have been keeping an eye on Tony Woods records for the past 4 years and much to my annoyance the name of the Luftwaffe Pilot who claimed my Uncle's Wellington has changed on 4 occassions.

To qoute Dr Theo Boiten:

3-4 April 1944
205 Group attacked the Manfred Weiss Armaments factory in Budapest, Hungary. Five Wellingtons were lost, three of which were shot down over Hungary by two crews of 6./NJG101 that were operating from Parndorf. Oblt. Krause destroyed a 150 Squadron Wellington during a night fighting sortie in the Steinamanger area. During his second attack, the left wing of Krause’s Do217 was hit in return fire from the Wellington’s rear gunner.

Oblt. Hans Krause: 5 6./NJG101 Wellington Keszthelyi-öböl/Lake Balaton 23.46 150 Sqn Wellington LN858
Fw. Herbert Ludwig: 5 6./NJG101 Wellington Dunapentele-Tiborszállás, S. Budapest 00.08 37 Sqn Wellington LN853
Fw. Herbert Ludwig: 6 6./NJG101 Wellington Hercegfalva, S.W. Budapest 00.16 104 Sqn Wellington LN925

Re. the names of 'Huderz,' 'Huders' or 'Sendarz' -these are all misspellings. The true claimant was Lt. Herbert Ludwig. This Nachtjagd pilot served with 5./NJG1, 5./NJ Schule 1, 6./NJG101 and IV./NJG6, scoring 13 confirmed nighttime victories and a few more unconfirmed victory claims and was KIA 23/24.4.45 when he was shot down by American Ack-Ack during a ground strafing attack to the East of Nürnberg. In the Nachtjagd War Diaries, I will publish lots of details on this man incl. a photo.
Hope this is of use to you David!

The above details were confirmed by a totaly different method

For approx. 3 years I have been in contact with Nigel McTeer whose Father was the rear gunner on board Wellington LN 858 (150 Sqdn)
Fortunately Nigel's Father survived the attack by Hans Krause's Do217 over Lake Balaton, Hungary.

A couple of years ago Nigel was informed by the author Mr Martin Bowman that Krause was still alive and would be willing to write to Nigel and try and answer any of his questions.

This he did - and he also explained to Nigel that only two pilot's made any claims for the night of 3rd April 1944 (Himself and Fw. Herbert Ludwig)

And so now I do feel that the information that Dr. Theo Boiten provided me with is the truth.

Thanks everybody for the replies concerning markings type of aircraft at 'Parndorf' etc. - I'll certainly start using this board more in future - Only next time it will be under my real name !

Cheers
David Griffith