View Single Post
Old 10th August 2007, 02:22

Martin Gleeson is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Crash Landed Hurricane on Beach

Hallo all,

I saw this photo on one of Ed West's regular postings of E-Bay material, in early June.

I read it as V7833.

The Air-Britain 'RAF T1000-V9999' aircraft serial register for V7833 only records "ME Lost 10.4.1941."

'HURRICANES OVER TOBRUK' by Brian Cull and Don Minterne on page 106 describes how Sgt-Chef de Scitivaux at 0905 hours on 10 April 1941 was hit by ground fire while strafing enemy vehicles. He crash-landed his Hurricane "on the beach at Umm Ghene Gniah about 25 miles from Tobruk". He suffered slight facial injuries but walked back to Tobruk. The location quoted above would also account for the presence of German troops in the photo.

I do not agree about the 73 Squadron flash being cut out. It does not look like the same shape to me. Indeed a closer viewing shows damage (from an undetermined cause) to the fuselage side which has resulted in the torn aircraft skin being peeled downwards, but critically it is still there.

I cannot detect a trace of a squadron code or individual letter. I also think the aircraft colour scheme is in remarkably good condition, in terms of weathering and repairs. Just look at any 73 Squadron Hurricane photos of this period. Many are badly worn and weathered. Nor have I seen any of these photos showing the distintive squadron flash. All this seems to indicate the aircraft on the beach was new or relatively so. No time to paint letters, let alone a large flash.

Also on page 106 it is recorded that 7 Hurricanes arrived in Tobruk from Ismailia that very morning. Six of the pilots were Free French volunteers, including de Scitivaux. The authors seem fairly sure of 6 of the serials for these Hurricanes but somewhat less so for the 7th.

Therefore I suggest that one of the above, probably the 7th, was V7833. This serial is nowhere mentioned in 'HURRICANES OVER TOBRUK' - I know, I've checked - which further strenghtens my belief it is V7833 due to its very, very short career with 73 Squadron.

As this is my second typing - the last one vanished - I will finish now.

Over to you gents, especially Brian.

Regards,

Martin Gleeson.

P.S. Thanks again Ed West.