View Single Post
Old 16th August 2007, 02:15
Alter Hase

kaki3152 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Unidentified Aircraft photo #1-Mosquito

Folks,
Since no one has ventured any further info, I decided to examine the photograph in detail.
It is a shot down(crashed ?) Mosquito which has broken in two with the entire tail unit located behind the front half of the fuselage. It appears to be a Mosquito FBVI though it could be a NFII (not likely). The Mosquitoes armament has been removed and lies next to the front half. The cockpit appears intact so it's posible the crew got out unharmed. The engines have been removed. It is located on a pier in a port. If you invert the phtograph, you can see a cargo vesel, dockyard cranes and a concrete skyline. The plane is camouflaged in the usual Mosquito camouflage of dark green swatches over a Sea Grey base with a Sea Grey underside.There is still a tip tank on one of the wings. There is a posible letter "R" or "B" right at the fuselage break. No visible serial number, in fact the whole section of the fuselage where the serial number would go is missing.
From all this evidence my theory is its a Mosquito FB VI shot over an occupied port in 1944. I'll look through my various publications to see if I can come up with a candidate.