View Single Post
Old 17th August 2007, 19:35
Alter Hase

Adriano Baumgartner is on a distinguished road
Re: Stab/NJG 4 losses on 19 December 1944

Andreas,

Finally...after a BIG mistake I wrote, here we are on the track of the original thread again.
Well, as I told, I received back in 1999, some missions descriptions by Hans Krause, Gruppenkommandeur of I/NJG 4 in German. I got them translated these last weeks, as I do understand only a few words of Gerrman.
Hans Krause describes a mission he flew on the night of 19 December 1944 ( I do not know if 18/19 or 19/20 December - OK, this is why I put on the thread information on those two nights ).
He describe an air-to-ground attack with his 20mm guns on a US or Allied convoy of trucks that had their lights ON. After two or three passes, he was hit by AA fire and broke combat, trying to evade at very low level. He was hit twice ( from his description ). He then climbed to 21,000 feet amongst high clouds and become lost, as most his radio and compass was hit by AA fire. He flew guiding himself by the moon and ORDERED his crew to bale out with him. They landed together somewhere in Germany ( had to check the files on my other computer for that later ).
This is the information I had from him on his own words. He flew with the STAB of I/NJG 4 on the third wave of aircraft that took off that night to attack vehicles.
Do you have ANY DATA about I/NJG 4 losses that night?