View Single Post
Old 12th April 2005, 11:17

Peter Kassak is on a distinguished road
Re: WfrGr 21 Rocket Mortars in use

HI,

As far as I know, WGr 21s were used from Me 410s and Bf 110s to break tight formations of US bombers. Fired from few hundred meters almost kilometers, these should explode inbetween the box of bombers and cause damage, to separate planes apart. I used word should, because aiming with these lets say first air-to-air rockets was very tricky...and required a lot of skills. But If it was fired correctly, one hit in bomber caused definite explosion and loss almnost usually all the bomber and its crew. And when WGr 21 exploded inbetween bombers, significant damage was suffered, and most of bombers then failed to be a victim of fighters. This happened on 16.6.1944, 26.6.1944, 7.7.1944 against 15.USAAF as far as I remebers...and know.

After the attack heavy and slow twinengine bombers, disadvantaged more also by carying the rocket launchers under wings, had to clear area of combat and try to survive chase with US fighters. To finish the job was on single engined 109s and 190s...

Airmen on board of US bombers said, that more horryfying than the explosion of these was the fear, that they brought by their quite loudly approach with white smoke trail...

hope it gives U some idea...

also: Zerstorer Research Work Group,
"Geschichte des Zerstörergeschwader 76"