View Single Post
Old 16th December 2007, 04:18

Andrew Arthy will become famous soon enoughAndrew Arthy will become famous soon enough
Re: 33rd Fighter Group combat statistics, December 1942 - 6 February 1943

Martin,

Glad you found this article to be of interest, and that you liked our book. I'm working on a few other projects that cover the early Tunisian air fighting, and might post some of that work here as well in the future.

Franek,

> Actually those are credited victories, claims being presumably even
> higher.

What I call claims in this article are the officially credited victories listed by Frank Olynyk.

> Do not you think, that say 'actual losses that could be linked to credited
> victories of 33 FG' or 'victories likely reflected on available German loss
> lists' sounds better?

You make a good point. Maybe I should have named that table differently, or at least included a note raising your concern.

I cannot be 100 per cent sure that these Luftwaffe losses were to the 33rd FG. However, with the air fighting over central Tunisia being on such a small scale, and given that I have pretty thorough documentation from the German and Allied sides, I think it is fairly safe (but not 100 per cent certain) to say these were the German losses to the 33rd FG. There simply weren't that many units involved, making it a much easier task to attempt to match up claims and losses.

Robert,

Sorry, but I don't have many details on the damaged 33rd FG aircraft. I have no details on codes, pilots etc.

Many thanks for the comments.

Cheers,
Andrew A.