View Single Post
Old 31st January 2008, 10:26

hanshauprich is on a distinguished road
Re: List of StaKa's I./ZG 1, Erpr.Gr.210, I./SKG 210, I./ZG 1.

Major Karl Philiip Hammes was born 25. March 1896 in Zell/Mosel. He served in WW I with Feldfliegerabteilung (A)276 and later with Jasta 35. Afterhis fourth Abschuß he was also badly wounded and spent the rest in several Lazarets. After the war he became an famos Opern Tenor and give the Rigoletto in Don Giovanni, Don Juan, Papageno etc. He play in Berlin, Paris, Genf and Kairo. In 1936 he goes to the new Luftwaffe and was one of the oldest Fighterpilots on Service. In March 1939 he became Major and was Staffelkapitän 1./ZG 1 at Jüterbog-Damm.
On 6. September he was shoot down by P.11c NÖ Warschau, he was able to crash his stricken Bf 110 C 2N+IH . He died on his wounds, his Bordfunker Ofw. Steffen became PoW by the Polish Army. After the Polenfeldzug Major Hammes was still MIA. On 29. Oktober 1939 an searchunit from Feldgendarmerieabteilung (mot) 531 found the crashplace and the fieldgrave from Major Hammes. He was burried at the Soldatenfriedhof Warschau-Powazki. This grave gone lost after 1945.