View Single Post
Old 1st May 2005, 18:06

sveahk
Re: Forthcoming book on JG 5 ace Walter Schuck

Hello Christer,

Meeting Walter Schuck in Speyer I asked him about your book (a poster was hanging right behind him). Well, he didn't seem to know much about it, "...yes, I've met him (means you) a couple of times, but a book, no, I don't think so...".
At which moment, his two "business(?)companions" interferred and explained that there's certainly a book coming up, end of year or start of next year...
Then I talked with him about his post-war experiences, like going to Switzerland, taking the swiss brevet etc. Very clear and very detailed.

So, Christer (and of course everybody putting out texts about those times), you are writing books about things that happened sixty and more years ago, you are interviewing and talking to participants in WWII who are eighty and ninety years old. Their memories can of course be substantiated by diaries and log books, but still, I'm always amazed of the clarity and portrayed exactness of the facts represented in those "memory" books.

I mean, this is not just the "memory" of, say, being with your unit in Minsk in the summer of 1943, flying missions every day. No, this is about "remembering" the exact flights each and every day, where and when and why. And I think it's astonishing how very, very seldom I find any question marks, any doubt about those very exact data presented in these books...! I know, the 100% truth doesn't exist. but still...

Of course I'm full of admiration for all of you giving us those "memories" served so well and convincingly on the plate of time. With lots of research and knowledge, but still I wonder...The short term memory sometimes plays games with us and how is it with the long term one...?

Well, those were just a couple of thoughts after meeting with a very nice and interesting man, Herr Walter Schuck.

Take care
Hans