View Single Post
Old 15th April 2008, 22:40

markjsheppard is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: List of "aces" in Bf110 units during 1939-40 with 10 or more victories

Hi all

Very interesting thread which I thought I would hijack.

In 1992 a Bf110 E-2 (CD+MV) coded M8+ZE of 6.(Z)/JG5 was recovered it was found to carry five victory markings on the tail, one RAF and four Russian. Unfortunately all were unreadable (I never got to see them first hand) but the last victory was dated 15.8.41.These victories belong to when the Bf110 belonged to Stab/ZG76 who were in Norway at the beginning of the Russian campaign in the Arctic Circle?

What I had from 1995

In early 1941, the I/ZG76 Gruppe returned to Germany from Norway, but 110’s of the 2 staffel stayed in Kirkenes with the Zestoyerkette of JG77. In May 1941 the III/ZG76 was disbanded, returning to Germany. Finally, in the Autumn the last Gruppe, the II/ZG76 was itself disbanded. With ZG76 no longer existing, the Stab was in limbo. It is thought stab, aircraft from 2/ZG76 and Jagdkette JG77 operated as an enlarged unit in Northern Norway. It is believed that the staff flight acted as Jafü, a command structure co-ordinating all heavy fighter operations in Luftflotte 5. It is thought that M8+ZE possibly stayed with this new enlarged unit Autumn of 1941 before returning to the 'Werft' (Maintenance Unit) at Stavanger, where it was used as a familiarisation aircraft for new ZG aircrews. Here it stayed until it leftstavanger on 13 February 1942 via aalborg-Copenhagen-Konigsburg-Reval-Helsinki-Pori-Rovaniemi before arriving at Kiestinki on 23th February 1942 when it immediatey began operations with 6.(Z)/JG5 but the codes were never changed. It was lost still carrying M8+ZE on 11th March 1942.

Bit vague I know. We know that Gerhard Schaske flew M8+YE and had 18 victories? but I do not know who the other Stab pilots were or who might have flew M8+ZE. A very long shot but thought I would ask.Any ideas?

regards

Mark

Last edited by markjsheppard; 15th April 2008 at 22:42. Reason: spelling