View Single Post
Old 17th May 2008, 10:58
Alter Hase

Andreas Brekken is on a distinguished road
Re: July 1940 - What really happened to II./KG 76 and I./StG 76 ?

Hi.

I do not know if this will help, but I have browsed a bit in my document collection.

1. In the Vortrag zum Einsatzbereitschaft for 08.06.1940, under changes, the order to reequip the III./KG 76 with Ju 87B, replacing their Do 17Z aircraft is referenced.

2. This order is reversed and the Vortrag zum Einsatzbereitschaft for 15.06.1940 states that instead of the III./KG 76 being reequipped, the order is given that the II./KG 76 was to make this change from Do 17Z to Ju 87B. The strength report of this date show that the unit are redeploying to a new base, and that they have a strength of 36 Ju 87B's on hand, none operational.

3. The strength report of 22.06.1940 show a reduced number of Ju 87B's and a single Bf 108 on strength with the unit, which still retain it's designation as II.(St.)/KG 76

4. The strength report of 29.6.1940 show that the aircraft are now mostly operational, while the aircrew is not.... typically a result of the units aircrew undergoing conversion training and not yet at operational status. this would definitely suggest that the aircrew in this unit were transferred from a unit with other aircraft types on strength.

5. The strength report of 6.7.1940 (6th July) show the unit designation being changed from II.(St.)/KG 76 to III./St.G.77, and that 18 of their 25 crews now are operational.

During the same period, the I./KG 76 seems to have been operational in their bomber role, utilizing the Do 17Z, with no changes to the structure of the unit, or strength fluctuations that would indicate a transfer of major parts of their aircrew to the II./KG 76 later III./StG 77.

Also, it is of interest to note that a new Ju 88 equipped II./KG 76 is formed during the same period, by using the aircraft and crews that emerged after the III./KG 28 were reequipped with Ju 88.

Well, at least this is what the Luftwaffe Quartermaster General thought was going on at the time...

Regards,
Andreas B