View Single Post
Old 7th June 2008, 14:13

GrünherzJG54 is on a distinguished road
Re: Gerhard Loos III/JG54

Hi Guys,

I just wanted to update you a little bit. I have had a lot of help throughout the whole Forum thanks for all the guys that were working really hard to help me to answer some questions. I have now found out, that the former Air instructor of my grandpa might still be alive. I have his adress and phone number so I will try to get in contact with him the next days. I found out that several books are mentioning him with a small review of his last flight. I am still trying to find out what has happend since when he was gone to the western front. Some lists are showing 14 air victories for him but I can´t find a detailed list such as the one posted by Doug. One thing that happend to him is described in the Trautloff diary. He was hit by russian AAA his plane severly damaged and burning but he managed to get back to the airbase and got out with no injuries. Here is a pic showing him with Nowotny and the tail of the airplane damaged.

My question now is, the number on the tail of that plane, is that the so called Werknummer? Because I have some information that the plane involved in that incident should be 5480 but this doesn´t match with the number here on the foto. So i am looking for some more information if he was flying the plane with the number on its tail like the one shown on the picture or fotos with a plane thats "Werknummer" is 5480. I have further interest in fotos with a plane thats "Werknummer" is 411922 this was the last plane he flew on 06. march 1944 until he was shot down by J.C. Howell (I have contact to him too and he owns the original gun camera film!).

My grandpa is the right one on the foto with Nowotny just talking to him.

have a nice weekend all of you

Christopher