View Single Post
Old 7th August 2008, 07:24
He who rules the forum...

Ruy Horta has disabled reputation
Re: Book on French AF 1939-40?

As far as Douglas is being ridiculous, I'd like to counter that we have an autobiography of a high ranking RAF officer versus the "logic" and guesses of a post war enthusiast. Now unless the enthusiast has hard data to clearly show that the visit didn't take place, or at a different date, or with different participants, I will continue to take Douglas' word over the educated guesses of the enthusiast, no matter what "logic" these guesses are wrapped in.

Within the chaos of that period, the purpose of visit has both urgency and reason behind it. It isn't as ridiculous as you assume with hindsight.

Douglas is not a hero of mine, nor do I place the RAF on a pedestal.

That the french were valiant, I have no doubt, but there is also no doubt that they also had problems of moral. Plenty of examples on the ground, there are no reasons to assume that the air component was entirely free of said phenomena. It takes a while to recover from a shock.

So unless there is hard evidence I find credible that:

1. visit took place
2. fighters were present
3. a limited number took off
4. field was bombed
5. left bad impression on Douglas

The rest is (also) interpretation and (also) subjective, unless proven by documents or at least similar sources. Actually I'd give up fighting this "infamous quote" unless supported by strong evidence instead of guessing. Without this, you'd better concentrate on events which proof your general point, but which are backed up with hard data.

Now before you grow a fit, I do see the French air force as an important and undervalued participant in the fighting in the West. However, and I've written this before in similar threads, proving the point is all about method.

And now I see with eye serene
The very pulse of the machine;
A being breathing thoughtful breath,
A traveller between life and death;