View Single Post
Old 16th March 2009, 23:35

Pieter H is on a distinguished road
Re: Seeking Western Campaign crash locations & crew IDs for 3 shot down KG54

Larry,

Trying to get the discussion back from the non-value added Holland vs. the Netherlands discussion (I don't understand all the excitement and apologize for the confusion it causes you) and back to the loss list:

If the 2.(J)/LG2 loss on May 12 is supposed to be in Wons I have a serious problem with that, because reports are confliciting. See also earlier discussions on this board.

So one story (a.o by Jochem Prien and Peter Cornwell) says that 16 Bf109's of I.(J)/LG2 were active over Tongeren in northern Belgium around 09.00, where they were intercepted by A-flight of No 615 Sqn. One was supposed to have landed in the Liege area.

The other story is the crash landing at Wons, or more specifically Pingjum which is close by, both of them at the Wonsstelling that protected the head of the Afsluitdijk. But this crash is consistently attributed to 6.(J)/186.

Now I.(J)/LG2 was stationed on May 10 at Wyk auf Föhr in the north. but apparently moved more south to Nordholz on the 11th (?). But this is above Bremerhafen, still in the north, and (if correct) I still doubt this unit would be active over Tongeren from there.

At the same time an emergency landing at Pingjum on its way back home was only logical if the unit was still stationed at Wyk or Nordholz, but then clearly the unit active over Tongeren must have been another one. In other words the two events are mutually exclusive, and the story is very dependent on what the actual basis was of I.(J)/LG2 on May 12.

So what are the proofs to claim the Pungjum a/c not being from 6.(J)/186 but from 2.(J)/LG2?

Regards, Pieter

PS Yes have received your mail.
Will be travelling coming two weeks, so will do my best to answer as soon as possible.