View Single Post
Old 14th April 2009, 22:23

toast_1 is on a distinguished road
Moving logistics of Jags. Composition of Ground support units .

I’m programming a logistics model, and I’m considering using Jagdgeschwader units as a working example. I’m using Jags because I have read that they would often frequently move to another airfield. I’ve read that these were often remote fields without facilities (maintenance etc.). Seems like this would present a logistics problem. I seem to recall reading that lessons were learned by the Luft in the Spanish war.

I’m really interested in how the ground supporting units were organized and how they moved. I assume that the pilots would simply fly their ac to the new field. How were the ground support units in Jag unit organized ? I assume there would have been mechanics, tooling, fuel, armorer’s, , security, communications ,flak units , staff to set up the tents cook the food, feed the mules, etc. ..but I not clear on any of this. Any idea of numbers of ground staff would be a big help. I’m guessing that both the composition and number of staff changed as the war progressed too . I also assume from a few pictures that I have seen that they used ac, rail, truck/vans and mules as needed (esp. later when fuel was scarce). Later they would have been traveling in the dark to avoid allied ac.

Any thoughts welcomed
Thanks