View Single Post
Old 29th June 2005, 22:42

G. Warrener is on a distinguished road
Re: Jewish airmen in WWII

Hello

Well keeping it within the WW2 framework of the forum - any Jew who fought for the allies, had made the right choice. A Jew (who still could claim to be one) who then fought for the Germans (Nazis) is for me not a good guy.

But as the whole history of Jews in Europe over the last 2000 years is a matter of survival in hostile environments against all the odds - then it would be wrong of me to judge individual choices. Poles also fought for the Soviets and for the Germans - many were impressed - some volunteered. Who can judge each individual decision made?

Still the question evidences a remnant of non-identification with Jews. A B17 crew comprising of Jew, Catholic, Protestant, Baptist is 1st and foremost a B17 crew.

I may admire the skills of fighter pilots etc. I do not find the 'views' of Rudel acceptable. Pilots may be personal heroes - experts, patriots and very very brave - but they are only human and have a share of all the failings which may be expected of the species. Plenty of allied pilots express views in old age which are discordant with the cause for which they fought in their youth.

There are Kowalskis in Germany and in the USA - only a small percentage would after 7 or 8 generations still think of themselves as Polish... But a Jew was always made to feel different - even when higly integrated into society - such as in France or Germany in the early 20th century. Wilhelm Frankl WW1 German ace was a Jew - so was Edmund Rumpler - of Rumpler Taube fame.

Jewish life in Poland from 18th to 20th centuries was always separate from mainstream Polish society.

So a Jew was fighting for survival always - whatever the uniform. Little has changed. Whatever they do - is wrong in the eyes of some.

Graham W
Je t'aime mélancolie.....