View Single Post
Old 29th July 2005, 12:45

RodM will become famous soon enough
Re: Luftwaffe data from ULTRA

Hi SES,

thanks for your reply. I should point out that many of the raids analysed in March 1945 re: the L/F claims were relatively low level affairs (i.e. 8,000 - 14,000 ft). In one case the ORS made the statement that the L/F reported by crews for one loss could've been actually a night fighter.

Also, on the scant number of reports that I have, the ORS damage teams who inspected damaged bombers that returned home, were well aware of the damage caused by night fighters and the calibre of the weapons used. An interesting ORS Report, finished in May 1945, analysed in detail the contributory factors that lead to the loss of the bombers shot down during 'Gisela' on the 3/4 March 1945. It was seen as an unprecedented opportunity, mainly because they could analyse a number of shot down aircraft that they normally wouldn't have access to (for obvious reasons!).

The report concluded from inspection of the wreckage and interrogation of surviving crew members that:

(i) fire is the major agent for the destruction of aircraft shot down by night fighters (as opposed to hitting the pilot or a vital aircraft component)

(ii) there was no significant difference between the damage suffered by the shot down bombers and the damage suffered by bombers returning from raids

(iii) a significant proportion of fighter attacks are a complete surprise to the crew.

Cheers

Rod