View Single Post
Old 13th May 2019, 15:04

rof120 is on a distinguished road
Adriano: just a detail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriano Baumgartner View Post
Dear all,

(…)

For those who have not yet Edited a book....privately or not...IT IS NOT EASY fellows....not easy....(…)
Adriano
Hello Adriano. I enjoy your posts but this is not the point now. It seems that (all?) languages which are more or less of Latin origin, i.e. Italian, French, Romanian, Spanish, Portugese, and also English to a large extent, and even German too (for a large part of Germany was Roman for a long time), have many words and also misunderstandings in common. The cause of the latter is the fact that at the origin there was a common Latin word but these languages underwent separate evolutions in the course of many centuries (at least 20).

This is why you used the word "edited" here ("edited a book"). It is not a crime of yours but it can be misleading to English-speaking people who are not aware of the many words which are common and different to English and other languages. I trust you meant people who PUBLISHED some books as publishers, i.e. those who check and scrutinize manuscripts, accept some of them for publication and then do all the necessary work (or toil) to actually find printers, have the text printed, sell and spread the copies (how many? 100 or rather 10,000?), pay the printers (no small amounts) and the author royalties etc.

Every time you have posted a message here at TOCH there is a button at the bottom with the word "Edit". This means that you can edit your text: not publish it as a book but make changes and corrections, modifications… This is what "edit" means. Publishing books is a publisher's job.

I am not trying to play schoolmaster and correct texts here, not at all, but this is one of the most frequent misunderstandings. Be very careful whenever an English word looks much the same as the corresponding word of your own language. In very numerous cases this is a trap and both words which look the same have different meanings. Some of the worst traps are "eventually", "actually" and also "gun", which most foreign people don't really understand.

Here are but a few examples - perhaps they can help a few people:

English: publisher(s)

French: éditeur or maison d'édition

Portugese: perhaps "editor" (?) - I don't know

German: Verleger or Verlagshaus ("publishing house")

Good luck for your work and your efforts.