View Single Post
Old 12th March 2008, 21:59

BIG TYKE is on a distinguished road
Exclamation unknown war graves? or are they?

Unknown war graves? or are they?
this is a question i would like to throw out to everyone. I have been researching the loss of a Halifax V LK635 of 428 Sqn RCAF 6 Group bomber command on 22/23 Sept 1943. Aboard was my wife's great uncle F/Sgt James Wright RAF.
LK635 was one of 26 bombers lost that night in a raid on Hanover. but she was listed as lost without trace. a short while ago i made contact with a researcher in Germany, he has located 4 graves amongst his archives that state "An Airman of the 1939-1945 war, 22 September 1943". it seems that LK635 is the only aircraft that a crashsite cannot be allocated and those 4 graves are the only graves that he cannot attribute to a particular aircraft.
in order to verify his research we must firstly know the original burial place for these men, before they were reinterned in Hanover.
Now i have been in touch with the CWGC and according to them under the Data protection act and the freedom of information act they will not give out the original burial place. but one cancels out the other or is that just too simplistic? having the burial places would not contravene the data protection act surely.
Has anyone come across this problem during their research? has anyone overcome any bureaucracy of this kind? or does anyone know what my next step should be?