View Single Post
Old 19th July 2018, 13:49

uhebeisen is on a distinguished road
Re: P-39Q French Airacobra crashed in Switzerland July 1945

hello Jean
sounds very interesting - would you keep that search active please.
I have now expanded my search in the Swiss Federal Archive (Bundesarchiv) and have a few more dossiers already. More will arrive in a few days because they have to scan them first. I have noticed that often the two accidents (16. July 1945, 2 Airacobras, 12. March 1947, 1 Spitfire) are linked together are at least cross-referenced.
It would be interesting to open another thread about the dangerous Rhein knee that maybe led to this crashes (but that's another story).

Today I knew both serial numbers of the P-39Q:
44-3914, which is a P-39Q-21 (4 blade propeller), pilot François de Laurens, 1ère Escadrille GC II/9
44-3044, which is a P-39Q-20 (3 blade propeller), pilot Louis François Delvolvé, ???

If someone of the French members can search and provide more information about GC II/9 Auverne that would indeed bring me further. I am also not sure where these Airacobras were based (airfield); was it still la Vallon near Isteres or would GC II/9 have moved more to the north at that time.
As you can see on the photo of my previous post the photo belongs to a collection (collection J. Mutin) maybe someone know this collection and maybe there are more photos of the 1ère Escadrille of GC II/9 Auvergne around?

And as for the Aeroforum I have done a new thread there and asked for the already archived thread to be opened or copied over again. But since the forum seems to be moderated, I haven't heard or red anything since then.

So let's go on here in 12 o'clock high for now.
cheers
Ueli