View Single Post
Old 8th March 2013, 15:08

ChristianK is on a distinguished road
Re: Focke-Wulf variant identification

Hi Wojtek,

I just looked through my photos and found that those longer-than-standard-Gruppe bars have been used not only by one particular unit. Besides to the unidentified ones like the one your Fw 190 was with, similar markings can be seen, for example, on some Fw 190s used by JG 4 and JG 6. So no proof on this side.

I am afraid the SG 3 possibility must be left to speculation too, as this whole unit isn't documented very well (at least in late-war photographs). All I can say is that II./SG 3 in fact used numbers as tactical markings and that two Fw 190s marked very similar to this overturned example were photographed by Soviet soldiers at Tutow, about 130 kilometers north of Finow. So all these planes might have belonged to the same SG-unit under Luftflotte 6 in north-eastern Germany (II./SG 3 and II./SG 1 being the most likely contenders), but unfortunately nothing more can be said with certainty. At least not by me. Perhaps someone else can help...

BTW: Do you have any more photos from Finow? The P-39s in the background are interesting too...