View Single Post
Old 29th January 2011, 12:02

Richard Mills is on a distinguished road
II./NJG1 Signature Help.

A little further research on the Tony Woods excellent 'Combat Claims and Casualties' site has uncovered the following abschuss information on Oberleutnant Gresens:

18-12-1939 0:00:00,"Oblt.","Walter","Gresens","I.","ZG 76","Wellington","25km NW Borkum","15.00","-","-","yes"

12-4-1940 0:00:00,"Oblt.","Heinz","Gresens","2.","ZG 76","Wellington","SW Stavanger-Sola","16.55","n.b.","-","no"

So it appears that Oberleutnant Walter Gresens was credited with an RAF Wellington bomber on 18-December-1939 but Oberleutnant Heinz Gresens claim for 12-April-1940 was not verified by the RLM. There is of course the possibility that these were one and the same man.

Consequently, from that information we can assume that Oberleutnant Walter Gresens did acheive an abschuss on the RAF's ill fated attack on Wilhelmshaven in December-1939, and possibly had another abschuss rejected.

I am still trying to piece together any other information on this man that might be out there, I would especially be interested in any images that might be in circulation.

All help will be very gratefully received.

Regards Richard.