View Single Post
Old 20th October 2020, 17:28
Alter Hase

Larry deZeng will become famous soon enoughLarry deZeng will become famous soon enough
Re: Help with Word Definition

Many thanks, Gerhard, Nick and Jochen. Even if we haven't solved the puzzle yet, your expertise is very much appreciated.

I, too, thought it almost certainly had to be Nachtjagdraumführer 108, but then I rejected that choice because these military acronyms are almost always derived from shortened components of the word or words fully spelled out, e.g., Jafü for Jagdführer. The "Ja" in "Jagen" is easy; but where does the "gen" come from? Usually, I can get a hint (tip) from the officer's other assignments, but in the case of Maj. Dr. Otto Schmidt none have been found.

Now for a most embarrassing Nachtrag: I have been able to find details on the other officer that was with Maj. Schmidt:

LÖSCHNIGG, Adolf. (W.B.K. Wien II). 01.08.42 promo to Maj.(z.V./Fl.). 25.07.44 Maj. with JAGEN 108 (under 7. Jagddivision), KIA in direct bomb hit on Fluko (Flugwachkommando) Stuttgart night of 24/25.07.44 during raid by RAF Bomber Command.

Nachtjagdraumführer 108
(FpN: L 52617)

Nachtjagdraumführer:

Formation and History. (Jul 42 - May 44?)
Formed July 1942 at Stuttgart-Echterdingen in Baden-Württemberg to control Himmelbett radar sites under Jagdfliegerführer Süddeutschland and then later under 7. Jagddivision. Nachtjagdraumführer 108 was disbanded between February and May 1944 (FpN deleted 3 June 44).

So, JAGEN does indeed appear to be a little used acronym for Nachtjagdraumführer.

Thanks again, Gentlemen!

Larry deZeng