View Single Post
Old 9th October 2009, 00:49

Martin Gleeson is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: FW200 F8+OK lost 22 October 1940

Hallo all,

Brian.
There is no evidence that I know of to connect both incidents, though it is very possible. What the witness 'saw' and what actually happened can be two different things - as we all know to our cost ! I have yet to view any witness reports to this attack but there are probably some in the relevant coastal look-out post logs which I have not seen.

John.
To judge by the number of attacks made by Condors and other aircraft on Irish and other vessels off the Irish coast in 1940-1941 it appears most unlikely that any of these Luftwaffe aircraft did not carry bombs. An observation from a review of files of reported attacks on shipping in the Irish Military Archives.

Don and Brian.
Basically ignore the incorrect and mixed-up information on that website. Dennis Burke's website (see Stig's post) is much more reliable.

Robert.
You may hold the key here ! Do you know the exact take-off time ?
AFAIK the attacker/unit of the Kerry Head on 22 October 1940 has never been identified.
Two bodies were indeed found (Schuldt and Sturm), the others were never recovered (or perhaps identified). Schuldt was found washed ashore on 12 November 1940 at Aillebrack, near Clifden, County Galway on the west coast of Ireland. Sturm was found washed ashore on the same date at Dynich Island, near Lettermullen, Co. Galway.

Stig.
0024 is correct for 1940, while 0025 was the 1942 loss. This information came from contributions on this very forum in 2002 and 2005 by Jim P., Chris Goss and Peter Cornwell.

Hope this helps,

Martin Gleeson.