View Single Post
Old 8th May 2006, 18:31

Skyraider3D is on a distinguished road
Re: Late-war Bf 109 question

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgondog
Which model of the FW 190 in early 1944 would look at all like a 190D?
The Dora prototype
The 359th FG logged these as "Fw 190 D". I guess allied reports of the Dora started circulating and pilots started seeing Doras in the same way they had seen "He 113s" earlier in the war.

Regarding the incident with the Soviets on 18 March, there were several seperated encounters at the same time. In one case Mustangs dived on Fw 190s, entered a cloud, came out and found themselves on the tail of a Yak. The Mustangs broke off but other Yaks already started engaging the Mustangs and the fight was inevitable. In a seperate incident at the same time, several Mustangs strafed a Soviet airfield and destroyed a handful of Yaks before they could be identified.
One of the American pilots claimed several Fw 190s, and later his claim was adjusted to some Fw 190s and some La-5s. In reality they were probably all La-5s.
In the aftermath Stalin had all Soviet pilots that had participated in the event shot, and indeed required the same of the US. Only one US pilot was coutmartialed and find a dollar and sent home, after it took three days to positively indentify the Yak on his guncam footage.
If you want to know more about this encounter, contact me off-board as I have plenty of info on this event

In any case, I still need to hear back from Bill Lyons. I am curious about his comments.