View Single Post
Old 1st October 2022, 23:09

leonventer is on a distinguished road
Re: The Luftwaffe Archives & Records Reference Group???

Quote:
Originally Posted by edNorth View Post
That did not feel well. Magazines and Books will tell same old lies forever. ... I keep it on my shelf on how not to do it.

But site you mentioned was so bad after all its worthless. I regret trying be part of that and officially apologize.
Ah Eggert, you're always such an adorable little ray of sunshine!
You needn't waste time on silly apologies -- your focus should be on getting your manuscript completed and published. The world is waiting, breathlessly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwest2 View Post
... LWAG was a worthy attempt. And while some inaccuracies have been cleared up, much remains to be done. ...
Yes, the lwag.org site was a labor of love, created by Richard Eger and a host of collaborators. For many years, it served as a useful guide to Luftwaffe research resources around the world, and a valuable collation of information from disparate sources.
It might have fallen a bit short of its ambitious goals because it was such a massive and labor-intensive undertaking, but denigrating it as "worthless" is an affront to the cooperative and generous spirit in which it was founded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ju55dk View Post
No it was closed, and only those who were members at the time can still acces it.
The site is reachable (so someone is still paying the hosting and domain registration fees), but it appears to be crippled now.
The home page (lwag.org), the forums page (lwag.org/forums), and the various forum pages (e.g. "Archives in the USA") seem to work OK, but:
  • On each forum page, the links to individual threads (e.g. "Archives in the USA" > "NARA & NASM Research Offer") have been disabled.
  • The Log-in and Registration mechanisms are non-functional.
  • The Search and paging features have been disabled.
I used to be a member, but I'm no longer able to log in.

Jörn, do you (or anyone else) still have full site access? If so, then the contents will definitely be salvageable. I'll gladly volunteer to do that, so I'd appreciate it if someone could put me in touch with the current LWAG site owner/administrator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwest2 View Post
... Unless a backup is stored in the Cloud or some other means of storage, I would hate to see this site disappear as it briefly did around October of last year.
Yes, that was a huge wake-up call. I did archive most of the old version of TOCH (1998-2004), and I'm currently working on doing the same for this one.

Leon Venter