View Single Post
Old 14th January 2005, 17:50

Anders Jonsson
Inconsistancy in quoted Me 109 G6 performance?

Hi,

Does anyone know if the numbers stated for the Me 109 G6 performance below are correct?

Max speed 387 mph and sea level climb rate of 4560 ft/min?

I have seen the top speed figure quoted many times before and to be honest, I was always suprised that the top speed of the "Beule" was so low.

From a performance chart I have from Me works Augsberg, I read off 620 km/h at 6.7 km altitude. So this seems consistent. However, when I look at the climb performance I read off only 16.5 m/s which equates to only about 3257 ft/min. These numbers above are for the power setting "Steig und Kampfleistung".

The same Me Augsburg document gives a top speed of 637 km/h (396 mph) with "Start und Notleistung" but no climb performance numbers.

However, the power setting "Steig und Kampfleistung" was to my understanding what the DB 605 A engine was limited to during at least some part of 1943.

I have some questions based on the above:

1) There seems to be an inconsistancy in the quoted performance. Does the top speed refer to "Steig und Kampfleistung" and the climb rate to "Start und Notleistung" or have I missed something?

2) Was the "Start und Notleistung" setting for the DB 605 A engine ever released and made officially available?

3) Are there any accounts that pilots actually used the "Start und Notleistung" through field modifications by bypassing the "Steig und Kampfleistung" limit and if so, how frequent was this use?

Regards,
Anders