View Single Post
Old 30th June 2018, 22:25
Alter Hase

Graham Boak is on a distinguished road
Re: Questions for Hurricane I production experts

I have seen a serial quoted for the first metal winged aircraft, but I don't recall more than that it was in the Nxxxx serial range. There was no direct link between the fitting of metal wings and the 3-bladed props.

I find some of your statements doubtful. In particular, to my knowledge no aircraft after early Nxxxx serials were built with the fabric wings. (There may have to be some exception for Canadian-built aircraft, but I've no information there.) I would very much doubt that any aircraft after that range was built with the 2-blade prop either. The 2-position variable pitch DH prop (Hamilton Licence) was available prewar so could this be confusing matters - it was 3-blade.

Around December 1939 - somewhere in the early Pxxxx range or late Nxxxx? - Rotol constant speed 3-blade props were fitted to Hurricanes in preference to Spitfires, this could be cause for another confusion. The spinners were all the wider version intended for the Spitfire. In July all DH variable-pitch propellers were modified to constant speed versions.

Yet another possibility for confusion is that some of the Vxxxx block were fitted with the more shapely Rotol spinner intended for Hurricane production and seen on all later production. But not fabric wings.