View Single Post
Old 16th May 2012, 18:57

Paul Thompson is on a distinguished road
Re: Hooton's Luftwaffe Loss Totals - request for clarification

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Beale View Post
IWM had some AHB 6 microfilms which I saw about 20 years ago at the Museum in Lambeth. Why not contact them and inquire what they have now?
Nick, thank you for remembering that from so many years ago! I'll definitely contact them, possibly next week.

I've found the reference in question in Hooton's "Eagle in Flames". It is the source for "Table 40. Breakdown of Aircraft Losses, April 1941-June 1944" on page 156. The reference itself is as follows: "RAF Air Staff Post-Hostilities Studies, Book 21: 'Luftwaffe Activity I' (IWM Tin 192, fr.1071-85). Figures extrapolated from 'Einsatzbereitschaft der fliegende Verbaende'". The reference to extrapolation is somewhat disappointing, but Ted Hooton used other IWM sources which caught my interest.

The most interesting of those other sources appears to be a set of frames preceding the ones above. For example, "Luftwaffe Activity I, Vol. 1, IWM Tin 192, fr. 1041" is the source for "Table 53. Luftwaffe Activity on the Eastern Front, 1944" on page 205. The table shows the breakdown of sorties and losses by Luftflotte, sorted by aircraft mission categories.

Nevertheless, none of the above resembles the source mentioned by Artie Bob, so I would be very glad if he could give the reference for it.