View Single Post
Old 6th September 2006, 15:15

Richard T. Eger is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Changing target priorities as they related to jet production

Dear Stephen,

This is exactly the sort of information for which I was looking. I've checked Amazon.co.uk for copies of Hinsley's books. There appear to be five in the numbered series, although Vol. III is listed as such, not as Part I or Part II. Are both parts in the same volume? What does each contain, i.e., what distinguishes one from the other?

Also offered are a 628-page June 1993 version:

British Intelligence in the Second World War Abridged Version (Hardcover)

and a 642-page April 1993 version:

British Intelligence in the Second World War: Its Influence on Strategy and Operations (Hardcover)

The basic volumes are definitely not light reading, with Volume III coming in at 1054 pages. It certainly looks like the answers would be buried there-in, but perhaps you or someone else might suggest a more condensed book that would cover my needs without consuming as much time as this series might to get to the answers I need. I sort of feel like I'd be going from the Me 262 weeds to the strategy weeds and was hoping for some overall perspectives as to the changing strategies.

That said, the information that you have provided from Volume III hits the nail on the head as regards one timeframe. It doesn't answer the summer 1944 swerve onto and then off of the jets, nor why the Waldwerke, Kahla, and the carapace targets were ignored. Any help that you can offer along these lines would be most appreciated.

Regards,
Richard