View Single Post
Old 18th January 2018, 16:47
Alter Hase

John Vasco will become famous soon enough
Battle of Brtitain Books

It's not vitriol, it's called stating facts. And that is something you did not do, Steve, when you dismissed British aviation publishing by saying the quality died when MCP was taken over by Ian Allan.

As well as pointing you in the direction of Stephen Bungay's excellent book, I will also proffer the following:
Andy Saunders:
Bader's last flight
Stuka attack, The dive bombing assault on England during the Battle of Britain
Convoy Peewit: Blitzkrieg from the air and sea * August 1940
and a whole host of others.

Chris Goss
Luftwaffe fighter-bombers over Britain: The tip and run campaign 1942-1943
Junkers Ju 88 the Luftwaffe's most versatile aircraft
Jagdgeschwader 53 'Pik-As' Bf 109 Aces of 1940
Combat over the Mediterranean: The RAF in action against the Germans and Italians
and a whole host of others.

The Red Kite series of:
Luftwaffe Crash Archive (12 volumes)
Battle of Britain Archive (presently 5 volumes and quite a few more to go)
and the other works Red Kite have published.

Brian Cull
Battle for the Channel, The first month of the Battle of Britain 10 July - 10 August 1940 (which includes comprehensive details of the e-boat activity which supported the aerial assault on British Channel shipping)
Two more volumes to come, I believe.

Christer Bergström
The Battle of Britain, An epic conflict revisited. A book which not only calls into question the previously held beliefs about Göring, but also strives to set the record straight concerning the performance of the Bf 110 in the Battle when considered alongside the three other main fighters, and the respective claims and losses of all four.

There are others...

So you see, Steve, when the hard evidence is actually presented, your contention that (and you wrote it, nobody else) '...the quality of British aviation book publishing died when MCP were bought out by Ian Allan...' is shown to be completely without foundation.

I have to say I find it a disgrace that such a contention was made in the first place, because it denigrates the authors I have mentioned above, as well as denigrating those publishers who have supported the authors throughout their travails.

Splinter Live at The Cavern, November 2006: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxOCksQUKbI

Danke schön, Dank schön ich bin ganz comfortable!