View Single Post
Old 18th March 2019, 22:31
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about
Re: UK National Archives Files

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve sheridan View Post
Hi Nick, out of curiosity is there anything available to download for 1940-41 in these files you mention?

Best regs,
Steve.
Not for 1940, as far as I know. They’re on paper. May 1942 is the earliest downloadable stuff I’ve looked for.

Go to the National Archives site, “search the catalogue” and then “advanced search”. Under “must include” put “Cairo” then in the appropriate box ask it to search file series DEFE 3 and make the date range 1939 to 1942. When you get the results, sort them as “date ascending”. That will show you the earlist material available.

The point about the Cairo series reports is that these were the first non-naval Ultra reports sent to an overseas command, i.e. the Middle East. These were declassified first, they were individual items (sometimes loose) on very flimsy paper so they were microfilmed after a few years and later the microfilm could be easily scanned and put online. HW 5 material is compiled into hard cover bound volumes however.